HOW TO ADOPT GOOD DAILY HABITS IN 5 STEPS!
A habit is an action which, by dint of being repeated, becomes automatic, is carried out with ease and without effort of particular attention. Struggling to keep up with your workout plan, cook your own meals regularly, or spend your evenings reading instead of watching Netflix? So that means that you haven’t been able to develop a certain behavior through habit formation yet.
Now you are probably starting to understand why it is not so easy to acquire new / good habits . So how is it possible to turn controlled acts into automatic actions?
In this article, we offer you a 5-step plan to adopt good habits over the long term. Our advice will help you strengthen a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
ADOPT GOOD HABITS IN 5 STEPS
1. SET A GOAL
The first step in adopting healthy lifestyle habits is determining which ones you want to maintain. To do this, you need to define your goals .
According to a study published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology , goal setting is an essential technique that will help generate effective behavioral changes. ( 1 ) For researchers, it is important to set goals to maximize change.
Take enough time to think carefully about what you want to accomplish, what your needs are, how to get closer to yourself and to who you really are… Once you have a clear vision you can move on to next step, ie define an action plan.
2. MAKE A PLAN
Once you’ve set your goals, you need a concrete plan with realistic steps. What (small) actions will you implement and repeat over time, day after day, to get closer to your goal?
A study in the British Journal of General Practice suggests that even small changes in your daily life can lead to big changes in your behavior.
Here are some examples of behavioral adaptations from everyday life that you too could turn into long-term habits:
- Start the day consciously, enjoy the moment . If you are already stressed in the morning, it will influence your mood and may affect your entire day. By setting aside enough time in the morning to start quietly, think about what you are going to do, or even meditate, you set yourself up for a successful day.
- Enjoy a healthy breakfast . First of all, take the time to sit down rather than grab a bite to eat. Not everyone has a big appetite in the morning, so consider tailoring your breakfast to your body’s needs . This first meal of the day should berich in proteinand contain good fat in order to give you enough energy and to be on the alert.
- Consider drinking a glass of water before starting the day.
- Try to get some exercise during your lunch break: a few movements to relax your neck and shoulders or a little bodyweight training session to stay active on a daily basis.
- Plan a healthy snack in the late afternoon . At this time of day, many people experience low energy and / or a huge hunger pang.
- Prepare your own dinner . When you cook, you consume fewer calories and most importantly you have complete control over the nutrients – the fuel – that you give to your body.
- Plan your workouts in advance . By training at the same time every day, you will create an automatism.
- Read before going to bed . Reading helps your body and mind let go and makes it easier to fall asleep. This will put you in condition for a good night’s sleep.
- Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep per night . During the week, try to go to bed and get up at regular times .
- Learn how to better manage your stress . When things aren’t going as planned, it’s tempting to give up certain habits. Find your little ritual to release tension.
3. BE CONSTANT AND REGULAR
Studies show that repeating a simple action helps turn it into a habit. But the context also makes it possible to strengthen the mechanism to facilitate its automatic execution.
In other words, if you still perform the same actions after certain events, your brain will automatically get used to that sequence.
For example, if you exercise every morning before having breakfast, it will quickly become automatic. This means that by regularly adopting this physical activity before your breakfast, your brain will be gradually programmed to play sports and you will no longer have to ask yourself the question.
A good way to start off is to choose habits that you would like to add to your morning routine, like meditation, or something simple like having a drink of water after waking up or taking a quiet time without a cell phone. the morning.
How long does it take you to internalize a habit? Studies show that it takes about two months for changes in behavior to occur and for automatisms to take hold. The key to success is therefore consistency and regularity! The actions that you have repeated constantly for about two months will then become like second nature.
4. DON’T LET FAILURE STOP YOU
Of course, reaching a goal is not always easy, and there can be setbacks. There will be days when you don’t stick to your plan to the letter, when you skip your workout, give in to food cravings, and also when you don’t get enough sleep.
British researchers have shown that even if occasionally we do not take certain actions that we planned to do, this does not seriously disrupt the habit-making process. ( 4 ) If the habit is well established, the automaticity of the action will reappear.
Obviously, these exceptions should not be abused, because the less you maintain your good habits, the more difficult it will be to repeat them. So you can twist your plan from time to time, but don’t lose sight of your goal and get back on track as soon as possible!
But remember that the best is the enemy of the good. Be careful that habits don’t become obsessive and add stress to your daily life. Make an effort to develop good habits, but don’t overdo it either! Plan a moment of rest and relaxation each week , just for you. Perhaps you should also take some time to practice positive thinking or meditation. Be grateful to your body for all that it allows you to do each day. Pamper him!
Why not do a little yoga session, read a good book on the sofa or just relax? Use this time to regenerate your body and mind.
Even tiny changes can dramatically transform your daily life. Follow the 5 steps suggested in this article to adopt new healthy habits. You will also notice that you will get rid of bad habits on your own. So think positive to stay motivated, and you will soon see your goals come true!