How to adapt to daily habits in five steps!
Habit is a repetitive automatic operation that is simple to operate and can be executed without special attention. Try to stick to your exercise plan, cook your own meals regularly, or spend an evening watching Netflix instead of reading? Therefore, this means that you cannot develop a certain behavior by forming a habit.
Now you may have begun to understand why it is not so easy to develop new good habits. So, how to transform controlled behavior into automatic behavior?
In this article, we will provide you with a 5-step plan to develop good habits in the long term. Our recommendations will help you strengthen a healthy, balanced lifestyle.
5 steps to develop good habits
1. Set goal
The first step in developing a healthy lifestyle is to determine which habits to maintain. To do this, you need to define goals.
According to a study published in the Journal of Counseling and Clinical Psychology, goal setting is a necessary technique to help produce effective behavior change. (1) This is a goal set by important researchers to maximize change.
Spend enough time to carefully consider the goals you want to achieve, your needs, how to be more intimate with yourself, and with real people… Once you have a clear vision, you can move on to the next step, which is to develop an action plan.
2. Make a plan
After setting your goals, you need a concrete plan with practical steps. What (small) activities do you engage in and repeat once a day to get closer to your goals?
A study in the British Journal of General Medicine showed that even small changes in your daily life can cause major changes in your behavior.
The following are some examples of behavioral adaptation in daily life. You can also develop long-term habits:
- Start a new day consciously and enjoy this moment . If you are already feeling stressed in the morning, it will affect your mood and may affect your entire day. By allowing enough time in the morning to start learning quietly, thinking about what you plan to do and even meditating, you can prepare for a successful day.
- Enjoy a healthy breakfast . Take time to sit down instead of eating first. Not everyone has a big appetite in the morning, so please consider tailoring your breakfast to your physical needs. The first meal of the day should be rich in protein and good fat to get enough energy and keep you alert.
- Before starting a glass , consider a glass of water .
- Try to do some exercise on your lunch break : do some in the movement of your neck and shoulders relax, or exercise to keep your exercise routine.
- Plan to eat healthy snacks at night . At this time of the day, many people experience low energy and/or high hunger.
- Prepare your own dinner . When you cook, you consume fewer calories, and most importantly, you can fully control your body’s fuel nutrition.
- Plan your exercise ahead of time . By training at the same time every day, you can create a vending machine.
- Reading before bed . Reading can help your body and mind relax and make it easier to fall asleep. This will give you a good night’s sleep.
- Make sure to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night . During the week, try to go to bed regularly.
- Learn to manage stress better. When things don’t go according to plan, it is easy to give up certain habits. Find a small way to reduce stress.
3. Keep it constant and regular
Studies have shown that repeating simple actions can help them form a habit. But the context can also improve the mechanism to facilitate its automatic implementation.
In other words, if you continue to perform the same activity after certain events, your brain will automatically adapt to that cycle.
For example, if you train before breakfast every morning, it will soon become automatic. This means that by doing this exercise regularly before breakfast, your brain will gradually be programmed to exercise, and you will no longer need to ask yourself this question.
A good way to start is to choose habits to add to your morning routine, such as meditation, or simple things after waking up or resting quietly without calling, such as drinking water. in the morning
How long does it take to develop this habit? Research shows that it takes about two months for behavior change and automatic control. Therefore, the key to success is consistency and regularity! You will naturally repeat the process for about two months.
4. Don’t let failure stop you
Of course, achieving goals is not always easy, and setbacks may occur. Sometimes you don’t have to follow a plan, don’t exercise, and don’t want to eat or sleep.
British researchers have shown that even if we do not take certain actions as planned, it will not seriously disrupt the process of habit formation. (4) If a habit is formed, the automatic nature of the operation will reappear.
Of course, these exceptions should not be abused, because the fewer good habits you have, the harder it is to repeat them. Therefore, you can check the plan from time to time, but don’t forget your goals and get back on track as soon as possible!
But remember, it is best to be the enemy of good people. Be careful not to make this habit addictive and add stress to daily life. Try to develop good habits, but don’t overdo it! Plan rest and relaxation time once a week. Maybe you should also spend time practicing positive thinking or meditation. Thank you for everything your body does every day. Treat her!
Why not take a yoga class, read a book on the sofa or just relax? Use this time to restore your body and mind.
Even small changes can have a big impact on your daily life. Follow the five steps suggested in this article to adopt new healthy habits. You will also find that you can get rid of bad habits. Therefore, think actively to stay motivated and achieve your goals as soon as possible!