Everything about occasional fasting
There are snacks and a diet for weight loss. There are so many of them that you lose Latin. . . Is this or that procedure the most effective? How does it work? What are the benefits and risks? This article explores the current new trend: intermittent fasting. This method seems to be very popular among athletes and athletes, but also for those who want to lose weight and think this is the final formula. How does intermittent fasting work? Are there any risks in following it?
Therefore, we take a closer look at this method: here are some tips and suggestions.
What is intermittent fasting?
As the name suggests, intermittent fasting (ie, intermittent fasting) is a food that people can alternate between fasting and normal eating. Strictly speaking, this is not a diet, but a diet plan. Here, we will not tell you what to eat, but you have a predetermined schedule.
There are different models. The following are the most popular:
- 16/8 method: also known as Leangains method. You can eat here for 8 hours and then fast for 16 consecutive hours. In short, most of the fasting phase is carried out while you sleep and then lasts for several hours after waking up. For example, you can skip breakfast, have a meal at noon, and then continue to eat until 8 o’clock in the evening.
- 5:2 diet: about two days a week, only consume 500-600 calories a day. These two days do not have to be consecutive, you can eat whatever you want for the remaining five days.
- Eating and stopping eating: This method alternates between fasting and normal eating. You usually eat for 24 hours and then fast the next day. Repeat this process once or twice a week. Remember that in all these models, non-calorie beverages (such as black coffee, unsweetened tea, etc.) are allowed.
The effect of intermittent eating on the body
Intermittent fasting not only limits calorie intake, but also interferes with the hormonal balance in the body, thereby promoting fat absorption. The following changes have been made:
- Intermittent fasting can improve your insulin sensitivity, especially during exercise. This is especially important for people who are overweight, because blood levels of insulin are lower and fat burning is more effective. On the contrary, there is insulin resistance: Studies have shown that being overweight interferes with insulin’s ability to lower blood sugar. The result: more insulin is released, which stimulates fat storage.
- Increased secretion of human growth hormone (HGH). This can increase protein synthesis and make fat become an energy source. You can burn fat and gain muscle faster. Therefore, HGH is often used as a doping technique in many bodybuilders.
But this is not all! Researchers believe that fasting can also improve the function of autophagy: a mechanism that destroys damaged cells and produces new cells, thereby promoting the regeneration process.
Intermittent weight loss
If you don’t eat, it will lead to a lack of calories, so weight loss is inevitable unless you use fat and sugary foods to make up for fasting. In fact, this feeding method will not prevent you from eating such foods. it’s up to you. According to some studies, intermittent fasting can not only reduce daily caloric intake (if done correctly), but also prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes. The body also learns to better control the food consumed during the day. Food intake stage.
Studies have also shown that combining the 16/8 method with muscle development (weight gain or weight gain) can reduce fat mass more effectively than doing bodybuilding training alone. (1) However, the subjects in this study showed no signs of muscle growth.
Warning: Diabetes, high blood pressure, pregnant or breastfeeding women are not recommended in the diet. Before starting a diet, consult your doctor.
How to combine fast food and sports?
When combining a fasting period with exercise, there are some important things to keep in mind.
- If you want to lose weight healthy, please be careful not to lose too much weight and appropriately reduce calorie intake. Do not lose more than 0.5-1% of your weight per week.
- Increase muscle movement and a lot of protein in your diet, which account for 25% or more of your energy intake to maintain muscle mass. (2)
- Finally, try to eat before the most meal of the day. If you plan to combine rigorous training with fasting, we recommend that you contact a nutritionist and/or healthcare professional in advance.
It is not recommended to drive from time to time
If you are healthy, there are no contraindications to fasting. However, we reiterate that for some people, this diet is not recommended and it is recommended to consult a doctor before starting.
People with the following conditions should avoid intermittent fasting:
- Diabetes and other metabolic diseases
- Heart and blood vessel diseases
Intermittent fasting is not suitable for:
- Pregnant woman
- Breastfeeding women
- People with eating disorders
- An old man
Fasting can effectively reduce weight. But have you really considered the impact on social life?
Imagine this: you will be invited to a birthday brunch next Sunday. The breakfast buffet includes delicious muesli, fresh fruit, yogurt, scrambled eggs, salmon…all your friends will enjoy this delicious breakfast with enthusiasm. How about you sitting next to them with a glass of water in your hand? It was 10 o’clock in the morning, two hours before the first meal of the second day tonight. Kind of frustrating, isn’t it? Therefore, try to plan your fasting phase intelligently so that you can continue to spend quality time with friends and family.
Intermittent fasting is certainly not for everyone, but it can be a good way to reduce body fat. Usually, this diet is actually not spontaneous or flexible! If this parameter is important to you, you need to choose another diet, such as the IIFYM diet (if it suits your macro). This is a calorie-free diet, as long as it meets your nutrition plan, you can eat anything, and you proportionally respect the intake of various macronutrients (protein, fat). And carbohydrates).
What if hunger occurs?
Many people who occasionally fast complain of hunger, fatigue, exhaustion and appetite. Considering that you are skipping meals, this seems logical. But others also explained that the pain of hunger disappeared after the first critical phase (which lasted about two days). If hunger is really unbearable, I suggest drinking a cup of green tea or black coffee to relieve hunger.
8 our secrets
If you want to speed up from time to time, please refer to the following suggestions:
- Don’t eat too much during meals.
- Ensure a healthy and balanced diet. Eat foods high in fiber (fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains), high-quality protein (fish, soybeans, eggs, dairy products, legumes) and fats (vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, lawyers).
- Drink plenty of water or unsweetened tea. Use this calculator to determine your fluid needs.
- It may take some time for your body to adjust to the fasting phase. Intermittent fasting requires patience. If you are really hungry, please drink a cup of green tea or black coffee to soothe your stomach.
- Exercise regularly and eat a high-protein diet to avoid muscle loss.
- Whenever you exercise, you should eat the largest meal the next day after exercise.
- Lack of sleep can lead to weight gain. Ensure adequate sleep.
- Intermittent fasting is not for everyone (see above). If you are not sure, consult your doctor.
Intermittent fasting is certainly not for everyone. Although this method is still a good way to lose weight, remember that reducing your daily calorie intake is equally effective. As part of the occasional meal, it is important to maintain a balanced diet during the eating phase and not to skip hamburgers, pizzas or French fries to replace it.
Want to learn more about other diets? So please check this overview of different diets to understand it more clearly.